Thursday, October 30, 2014


Today is Apple Day!  I had a half bushel of Apples on my counter looking at me. Yesterday I made an overflowing Apple Crisp.

Well, today I have 9 quarts of Apple Pie Filling canned, and at present there is approximately 4 quarts of Apple Syrup cooking down on stove top.

I hate to waste anything, so after peeling all the apples I placed the peelings and cores into a pot on stove, just covering the peelings with the water.
I simmered the mixture for 30 minutes before straining in my sieve lined with cheesecloth.
I measured the mixture out and for every cup of liquid I added 1/2 cup of sugar. Brought it up to 218 degrees and cooking it till it has a syrupy consistency and will water bath can afterwards for 20 minutes. Can't say no to Apple Syrup on pancakes and French toast. Plus just think, it was all made with what you normally toss into compost or trash. The strained peelings can now go out to the compost pile, or chickens.

The other week a gentleman posted on FreeCycle that he had Black Walnuts to pick off his lawn. My son and I picked 3 bushels worth, he then took them home and he and his children drove over them a few times to break the husks off. After peeling the husks off he placed the walnuts on driveway and sprayed them down good to wash them off.

Now they are sitting on porch floor drying for the week before hammering them open and pulling the nut meat out for us to can.

Everyday seems to bring a new wonderful experience. I feel good knowing my Grandchildren are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment